In your rush to ride the wave of big data, have you turned your big data programs into what resembles the search for Bigfoot: elusive, hyped, and folklore?
In this article I will show you how to get your big data acquire the unique status of a “real” and “value creating” program moving at full pace.
Firstly, how can you tell if your big data program has turned into a Bigfoot search program? There are four symptoms:
- You have not defined a problem-solution driven use case and have invited consultants to tell you how big data solution can help you
- You are seeing a lot of presentations but nothing has been implemented
- Your technology departments are saying that they need to do something in “big data” but your business side is saying they don’t see any applications of big data
- You are struggling to get funding for your big data program
These symptoms indicate that your big data program is turning into a bigfoot search program.
Let us see how we can help you get over this problem:
First you need to do what are the things that you are not doing right. Answer the following questions as honestly as possible:
- Have you defined a process for identifying big data use cases?
- Have you placed a power team composed of neurosciences, data sciences, psychology, mathematics, linguistics in addition to the traditional IT and business resources?
- Have you implemented a Value Management Office for your big data?
- Have you deployed a structured process for prioritizing big data use cases?
- Have you communicated the power of big data in your company?
- Have you deployed a methodology to measure the value impact of big data?
All of the above factors are critical to driving value from your big data program.